"Qualified Investor" is a status that was introduced by Russian Federation law to protect the interests of investors.
In spring 2009, amendments were made to Russian Federation law that defined a new procedure for trading in foreign issued securities in the Russian Federation. Under those amendments, foreign securities that are not publicly offered and/or not traded freely in Russia, and foreign financial instruments other than securities, may not be offered to an unlimited number of investors or to unqualified investors, and may be acquired and/or sold only by qualified investors as defined by Russian law (Federal Law 74-FZ of May 16, 2009).
Because of the new law, Citibank will only be able to offer personal consultations on international investment and provide services to invest funds in international assets if you have Qualified Investor status.
By acquiring Qualified Investor status, you can enjoy all the benefits of international diversification that Citibank offers its clients and be able to invest your funds in international financial instruments.
By diversifying your investment portfolio and investing in foreign markets, you can select investments in the more stable world markets and have access to a wider choice of investments and a more flexible investment system.
Qualified Investor status has no time limitation, but if you want to drop the status completely, or only with respect to certain types of services provided or certain types of securities, you can do this at any time.
An individual may be recognized as a qualified investor if he/she satisfies any of the following criteria:
1. Holds securities and/or financial derivative contracts entered into for the account of the client, with a total value/total liabilities no less than RUB 6,000,000, that meet statutory requirements. Financial instruments put by the individual into a trust are also included in the calculation of total value/total liabilities.
2. Has work experience in a Russian and/or foreign organization that has transacted in securities and/or entered into financial derivative contracts:
The work experience review will take account of the work performed in the five (5) years preceding the date of filing an application to be recognized as a qualified investor and directly associated with financial instrument transactions, including trade decision-making, preparation of relevant recommendations, transaction control, financial market analysis, risk management.
3. Entered into securities transactions and/or financial derivative contracts at an average frequency of at least ten per quarter, but no less frequently than once a month, over the previous four quarters, the total value of such transactions and/or contracts being no less than RUB 6,000,000.
4. The value of assets owned by the individual is no less than RUB 6,000,000. Such assets will only include the following:
5. Has a higher education degree in economics as evidenced by an official Russian higher education qualification document issued by a higher professional education institution which, at the time of document issue, carried out the certification of individuals in the sphere of professional activity in the securities market; or holds any of the following qualifications or certificates: certified financial markets specialist, certified auditor, certified insurance actuary, Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), Certified International Analyst (CIIA), Financial Risk Manager (FRM).
Obtaining Qualified Investor status with Citibank is a simple process that involves taking just a few steps to become qualified.
After completing the qualification procedure, you can access all the benefits of international diversification, and we can recommend the optimum choice of products for you.
If you would like to obtain Qualified Investor status, you can:
+7 (495) 775–78–58 in Moscow,
+7 (812) 346–78–58 in St. Petersburg,
8 (800) 700–78–58 in other cities in Russia